Tourism Fiji rolls out a refreshed take on their renowned ‘happiness’ brand platform, just over a year on from borders reopening to tourists.
The new brand platform, ‘Where happiness comes naturally’ is a meaningful evolution that pays homage to Fiji’s local people, stunning natural environments, rich culture, and the authentic experiences on offer, encouraging travellers to discover a side to Fiji they may not have known existed.
A recent study into sustainable travel revealed that 66 per cent of travellers want to have authentic experiences representative of the local culture. Tourism Fiji is tapping into this growing consumer desire for meaningful travel that creates a connection to culture and communities.
Brent Hill, Chief Executive Officer, Tourism Fiji, commented, “For over a decade our tourism brand platform, ‘Where Happiness Finds You’ has attracted people from all over the world.”
“During the peak of the pandemic, visitor numbers fell to almost 30,000 annually. As our borders closed and tourist numbers declined, Fijians showed that they are resilient and resourceful by carrying a strong sense of community and entrepreneurialism. Our visitor numbers have since been steadily growing, reaching 102.5 per cent of pre-pandemic numbers in December 2022.”
“With short booking windows becoming the norm, we wanted to roll out ‘Where happiness comes naturally’ to capture that demand and welcome even more visitors back to Fiji in 2023, showing them a side of the country that they may not have experienced. We are a small island nation with a lot of happiness to offer, and this new brand platform showcases the vibrant and diverse cultures and traditions that exist within Fiji.”
As part of the brand evolution, Tourism Fiji has announced five new travel pillars that it will develop and promote to tourists; Natural Environment, Adventurous Experiences, Community Connections, Recharge and Reconnect, and Food and Drink. These demonstrate a core range of authentic experiences visitors can have in Fiji, such as:
- Natural Environment – explore the wonders of Fiji that have formed over thousands of years and connect with nature; Talanoa Treks’ 2 – 5-night hikes let people discover a different side to Fiji only accessible on foot.
- Adventurous Experiences – for those seeking adrenaline-filled drift adventures, experience the Rainbow Reef – an underwater paradise discovered by Jacques Cousteau and known as the soft coral capital of the world.
- Community Connections – take part in a traditional Kava drinking ceremony that dates to 3 millennia ago. The botanical marvel has been used in Fiji as a form of welcome at traditional social gatherings, and in cultural and religious ceremonies.
- Recharge and Reconnect – soothe the soul with a dip in the Sabeto Mud Pool and Hot Springs. The therapeutic experience offers a natural remedy to help replenish the mind, body, and spirit.
- Food and Drink – splurge on a personalised chef experience at luxury resort Kokomo with local female Head Chef, Caroline Oakley, renowned for her ‘cooking with heart and soul’ approach to food.
The rollout also includes a new logo that fuses modern and bold typography with the traditional Fijian art form of masi. It has been designed by Tourism Fiji’s global brand and creative agency Host/Havas, in collaboration with third-generation masi artist Wati Maraiwai Talavutu.
She commented, “Being given the opportunity to create a new logo that celebrates our heritage and showcases our traditions to the world has been an incredible experience. I’m proud to be a part of this new campaign that honours Fiji and the happiness we live and breathe every day.”
To showcase the new brand platform, Tourism Fiji captured its vibrant Fijian spirit using renowned National Geographic photographer Matthieu Paley.